How to Find Live World Music in Your Area
Although performances by ethnic or cultural ensembles and artists may seem hard to find where you live, they are actually more common than you may think.
- Check your local newspaper's Arts section on a regular basis. Usually itwill include listings of upcoming events.
- If there is an alternative newspaper or college paper (or both) in your area, be sure to check it out regularly. Less mainstream kinds of things are sometimes listed in them.
- Phone the cultural community centres of specific ethnic groups in your area and ask if musical performers from their region of the world will be coming to your city or town in the near future.
- If you have trouble finding printed listings in your local papers, phone the Arts or Entertainment editors and ask why ethnic performances are never listed.
- Phone around to smaller performance venues -- folk clubs, alternative kinds of theatres -- and ask if any ethnic or World Music performers will be playing there.
- If your local newspaper has separate sections for Arts and Entertainment, most likely what you are looking for will be listed under Arts.
- Don't be shy about phoning the cultural community centres -- usually the people there are tickled pink when someone outside their community takes an active interest in their culture.