How to Get Friends Interested in World Music
Share your love of World Music and introduce your friends to it in a gentle, non-threatening manner.
- Invite one or more friends over.
- Play a few favorite World Music pieces on the stereo.
- As your friends what they think of the music.
- If you get a negative reaction, ask what they don't like about the sound.
- If you get a positive reaction, play more in that genre.
- When you get a chance, point out that many popular artists like Sting and Peter Gabriel use World Music influences.
- If your friends are still not impressed don't push the issue -- try again at another time.
- If you friends enjoy the music, recommend CDs to them, loan them some of yours, and turn them on to resources to learn more.
- Don't force your opinions and be respectful of those of others.
- Be wary of too much of a good thing -- don't overload your audience.